Monday, February 9, 2009

They are small


It is with delight that I, after doing some pretty good snooping (my word for amateur research), have been able to almost trip over some truly amazing items for my current obsession.


I mean, just when I think I've found a gem of a cereal, far too absurd to be real (and it is!!!) I find another that is even more interesting.


Case in point, Dwarfies Cereal, made by the Dwarfies Corporation, who else? of Iowa. Nearest I can find out it was made in the 20's and 30's and was a hot cereal, so not a classic milk and crunchies variety, but hell, the clever name was good enough to make this post.


It was a wheat based cereal, not oats, like porridge, and had pictures of happy dwarfs cavorting about in a wooded glen, sitting on toadstools and stuff. I couldn't find out about anything else the company made. But no doubt it would have something to do with dwarfs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dwarfies Cereal was started by my grandfather, Richard D. Savage. Originally, it was based in Fargo, MN but later moved to Council Bluffs, Iowa.

Before that, he started Cream of the West in Billings, Montana. That company has been sold several times but is still in business. He also had Georgie Porgie Cereal, which was a big success, and was made in Council Bluffs, IA.

Anne Trimble
Omaha, NE

Bensonbunny said...

Hey Anne,
I think that my Great Grandfather, George Hughes, was partners with your Grandfather, Richard Savage in starting the Georgie Porgie Breakfast Food Co. Not sure of all the history, but I do know that his son, Harold (Had) Hughes performed in some of their radio shows. I have some pictures of him performing.