Thursday, February 26, 2009

Some people name their kids after this. Sheesh.

Barbara Millicent Roberts is 50 years old today. That's Barbie to you and me. The first Barbie's came out in March 1959. There is much written about this iconic toy so I'll leave you to read the stuff that's out there.

I choose to look at a few of the duds and what were they thinking for Christ's sake anyway? Like the Barbie that came out in 1997 that featured an African American doll in the unfortunately named Oreo Fun Barbie collection.

Even more supportive and wholesome was the 1965 Slumber Party Barbie whose package contained a diet tips book that suggested kids don't eat to loose weight. Whoa.

How about the Rosie O'Donnell Barbie? I'm serious. And Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett. C'mon.

Gotta run. It's time for me to move away from the crabbing about so many consumer products and return to technological disasters. As fun as cereal was, it's time to turn my sights to more pressing historical chestnuts like the perfectly safe and family friendly development of the jet engine.

Oh, in case you have any questions, I direct you to the Breakfast Cereal Information Service (I am not kidding). Hey, they're online at http://www.breakfastcereal.org/ . Knowledge IS power.

See ya next time.

No comments: