Monday, January 19, 2009

Danger! Will Robinson.


Holy crap it seems that the last six weeks has some special people passing. This one is especially dear to me. You may remember last year I ran a series on robots where I followed the development from the beginning ( I think) to the present time. I only tried to focus on the classic robots and I can't believe I missed this one.


Bob May, actor and stuntman and the guy in the robot on Lost In Space has died. Born straight into show business he was acting (well kind of )as the ripe age of 2 when his grandfather brought him into his vaudeville act.


As he grew up he played the dance halls, clubs and a stint on Broadway in the cast of the hit LIFE WITH FATHER. He toured with the USO. He soon turned to film. He appeared in 9 Jerry Lewis films and had guest spots on the hit TV shows of the day like McHales Navy and the Red Skelton Show.


When he wasn't acting he was doing stunt work for westerns and action films. He got the job as the robot mainly because he was there when they needed a guy in the robot and, more importantly, he fit the damn thing.


He was 69.





No comments: