Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Way to go Willie

So, in my daily prowl through the good stuff I often get distracted (you see I usually have a well organized week or two ahead of me where I know whats on slate for the blog and roughly where the good info is). But I will get on another train of thought and just follow it like a dog smelling a good spot to pee. In reality I will use any excuse to see whats around the corner.


Today I'd like to introduce you to my excuse: Willie O'Ree. This amazing man has the distinction of being the first black hockey player in the NHL. Born in Fredericton, New Brunswick he played minor league hockey for the Quebec Aces until being called up by the Boston Bruins to play a game against the mighty Montreal Canadiens. The day was January 18, 1958. The Bruins beat the Habs 3-0. What a way to start your career! He played only 2 games that year but was called up again in 1961 where he stayed for another 43.

1961 was his year in the NHL. He scored 4 goals and had 10 assists. He was a smallish forward,5 foot 10, 175 lbs. Amazingly, when he entered the NHL, he had almost no vision in one eye, the result of stick in the face in 1956. He kept it a secret from his junior team on up to the NHL, and no one new the difference.

No comments: