Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Blah Blah

I'm finding it tougher to keep track of all the threads that this blog is starting to generate. Not that's it noticeable for you, the reader, but for me I've had a million real cool subjects that I just have to get to in 2008. Every time I look up something I see something else that I just HAVE to write about sometime soon.

I promised a few new series for 2008 and I am on the hunt for a small desk to use for model building. I changed my mind about building it on the kitchen table. In part because I just got it and have been revelling in eating my meals seated with beverage and napkin within easy reach, rather that balanced on my knee. And I have a series on toasters coming up and I don't want my toaster (prominently featured on my kitchen table)to accidentally appear in any model photos I take. It's not because of any toaster inferiority I suffer, it is a mighty toaster after all, but because I like to review the history of things in their proper order. When the time comes, I'll show you my toaster.

I have the perfect spot in my living room for a desk and an excellent magnifying lamp my wife got for me (she knows how to treat a guy well). I just have to figure out what model to build. I confess I'm a bit nervous. Tall ships or any boat models with rigging just scare the hell out of me. I love looking at them in museums and I marvel at the coiled ropes and how every line just seems to go in the right place, but for the love of Christ I don't know a windlass from a binnacle. I'm leaning towards an airplane, most likely from one of the world wars. At least I know front from back with those.

I plan to post a short list soon for readers to debate and vote on if they want. Once settled I'll see if I can find an actual model kit, do the research on paint and markings, and fill my evenings with the gentle sounds of muttered curses, paint fumes while sipping a brandy and soda. Makes you want to smoke cigars.

No comments: