Monday, June 2, 2008

Tiled walls are best.

I pride myself in being able to whistle pretty good. I may not do complete sonatas but I can warble a very recognizable Four Seasons. As anyone who whistles knows, there are a few choice spots that just have the right acoustics to give your twitterings body, depth and dimension. No other place serves this purpose better than a good public bathroom. The tiled walls, the yards of mirrors, the hard floors breath life into this simple instrument.

One melody I enjoy most is the Star Trek theme from the original TV series. I have been whistling it for years. I am ashamed to say I never took the time to find out where it came from. I, like most others, just thought, well, it came from the TV show. Some contract writer pumped it out.

Well, that isn't too far from the truth. Alexander Courage, a musical arranger for Twentieth Century Fox got the nod to do the theme for the pilot. In one of those weird twists of business fate, Gene Rodenberry wrote some lyrics to go with it, (believe it or not) and in so doing cut in half any royalties Courage would have received on the playing of that song over the past 40 years.

Alexander Courage was definitely the real deal. Emmy winner, Oscar nominated. He arranged such hits as My Fair Lady, Hello Dolly and Fiddler on the Roof. But you do just one thing that marks your career for ever. And that was Star Trek in 1965. He also did some music for The Waltons and Lost in Space.

Courage died May 15 at the age of 88.

No comments: