Monday, June 9, 2008

Noose wurthee

Lessee now. Just a jumble of new-ish stuff I wanted to pass on. The owner of a company that does online tarot card and psychic readings, Tom Higgins, bought Charles Dicken's writing desk and chair and plans to use it to write letters on. Oh good. This is the desk Great Expectations was written on. He better not put a TV on it.

Here's one that's dear to my heart: according to the Canadian Press, 43000 railway wheel sets have a "have a high susceptibility to loosen", so says the The Transportation Safety Board of Canada. OK, so fucking tighten 'em. Seems the railway industry has some history with statistics like this. Lets lock the passengers in, or keep driving over cast iron bridges, or make trains too long for the curve. An update to that article claims that the number is actually 12000. I feel better already.

And, CBC sez that "Guy Ritchie, the British filmmaker behind crime capers Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, is set to give iconic literary sleuth Sherlock Holmes a modern-day makeover."

And to top the day off here's an AP story about Bill Shatner. Seems he'd been laid up after surgery and couldn't sleep, so, late at night he found an old episode of Star Trek on. Shatner confess he rarely watches the shows or movies he is in and was pleasantly surprised. "I haven't seen myself playing Captain Kirk in a long, long time," he says. "And I watched it now, from my perspective of 40 years later, and I thought, 'You know, that's rather good.'

No comments: