Wednesday, December 12, 2007

December 12 in music history.

Every so often I get looking at stuff online and find some pretty intriguing info. It's the Internet after all, and should come as no surprise. The neat thing is that you can assemble a pile of stuff and look at it side by side, like comparing washing machines or melons at the market.

So since I usually have a today in history thing or who died on this date post I was getting stuff together and realized that December 12 had some pretty awesome and shitty music hit the charts then.

How about Dec 12, 1957 when Presley had Jailhouse Rock and Buddy Holly had Peggy Sue. Parents all over North America learned how to yell `Turn that goddamn racket down!`

Or 1965 when Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds and I Got You (I Feel Good)by James Brown made the charts. Wow.

But you gotta have some balance too. 1973 had the Carpenter`s Top of the World and in 1981 (brace yourself) Physical from Olivia Newton-John. Sorry.

And here`s one, not a song, but still big news: the Chairman of the Board, Francis Albert Sinatra, was born this day in 1915.

To finish up and totally unrelated because I`m in a mood tonight, I watched (for the 3rd time) last night on PBS, the Buena Vista Social Club. Superb.

No comments: