Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bubba -y


I admit I'm still distracted by science stuff so before I tear off in another direction I want to briefly talk about those statues they dug up near Luxor, Egypt. Anyone see the news stories that ran mid afternoon about the two Pharaoh Amenhotep III statues that showed up while crews were excavating the pharaoh's mortuary.


According to AP, one statue is black marble and depicts him in a seated pose, while the other, carved from quartzite, shows him as a sphinx, (a la- his own head on the body of a lion).


Amenhotep was the ninth pharaoh of the 18th dynasty and ruled for 40 odd years around 1400BC. Apparently, he left more images of himself than any other pharaoh. Hmmm.


I've tried to find out just how big the damn things are but just about every story so far is based on the AP news wire. Bet they're bigger than a Volkswagen.

No comments: